Covered with woods and meadows, rich in waterways and small lakes reflecting the blue sky, surrounded by harsh mountains and gently rolling hills, Carnia, yet untouched by mass tourism, is the ideal place for those who prefer relaxing holidays, invigorating both the body and the mind not only for its natural beauties but also for what man has been able to create and adapt to the territory. Rural districts with stone houses embellished with arches and wooden or tuff open galleries perfectly integrate in the landscape: at Pesariis are elegant stone buildings, in Forni di Sopra are the typical houses with more than one floor and wooden galleries as in Sauris, the highest town above sea level in the region, where an ancient German language is still spoken, or the noble residences of Povolaro di Comeglians and Ampezzo, or Raveo, Ovaro, Socchieve. Churches, whether parish churches or votive chapels, offer artistic treasures yet to be discovered: Renaissance frescoes by Gianfrancesco da Tolmezzo are found in the small churches of S. Floriano at Forni di Sopra, S. Lorenzo at Forni di Sotto, S. Martino at Socchieve and in a small chapel at Nonta; his naïf disciple Pietro Fuluto left, in Colza, Osais, Mione, Luint, Liariis, sometimes repetitive and imperfect frescoes, though always rich in candid poetry. The parish church of Forni di Sopra has a wooden polyptych by Domenico da Tolmezzo, in the two churches of Saurisare wooden altars carved, painted and gilded by the two Tyrolese sculptors Michele Parth and Nicolò from Brunico to confirm the cultural open-mindedness of Carnic people (even in the isolated Sauris) towards the bordering countries. At Pesariis, two small museums are worth visiting, the museum of Carnic houses at Casa Bruseschi and the clock museum in the “Stavolo da Bertola”, to remind visitors that clocks for clock and bell towers were produced in the enchanting Val Pesarina since 1725.