Hotel Valvasone, Restaurants Valvasone, Bed and breakfast Valvasone, Holiday Farms Valvasone
- 17,86 sq. km
- 59 m a.s.l.
- Piazza Mercato, 1
- 33098 - Valvasone (PN)
- Casamatta, Pozzo Dipinto, Ponte Tagliamento, Torricella
The town’s historical centre revolves around the castle and the duomo. The former, whose long and complex restoration is being completed, is medieval in origin, though what is seen of it, once you access the ring of walls through the entrance tower, is mostly 16th-century work. This outside facies, rather rough and highlighting the defensive structures of the castle, hides the rich decorations inside, made of frescoes, painted cantinelle (long wooden strips) and stuccoes, not forgetting the picturesque attraction of an 18th-century small theatre. A few steps along the cobbled alleys will lead you into the cosy Piazza del Duomo. Dedicated to the Santissimo Corpo di Cristo, the present outlook of the church does not betray its origins: built in the 15th century, it was remodelled in Neo-Gothic style between 1800s and 1900s. Inside, however, the exquisite pipe organ case built in Venice by V. Colombo (1532-1538) is embellished by Pordenone’s and P. Amalteo’s paintings, the latter having succeeded to his master who had began the painting of the case doors years before. The subjects of the paintings are the Fall of Manna from Heaven outside on the doors, and Isaac’s Sacrifice and Melchizedek’s Sacrifice inside, to which the Episodes from the Life of Christ were added on the cantoria (singers’ gallery) panels in 1551. Amalteo’s dymanic -mannerism- finds its continuity in the Duomo thanks to the trait of G. Quaglio, the author of Sta. Caterina’s Mystic Marriage (1701), and becomes baroque movement in the same altar marble relief, attributed to Cabianca. 200 metres away, the church of San Pietro Apostolo offers high examples of devotional mural painting thanks to Pietro da Vicenza’s frescoes (early 16th cent.) organized in polyptychs on the walls: small round arches and lintels with classicising ornamental patterns (as the large vase with -bucrani- ox heads-, for example) create niches which host, in an orderly way, the Holy Trinity among SS. Bartolomeo and Biagio, John the Baptist and Lucia, Apollonia and Caterina, Antonio Abate and Gottardo; SS. Christopher and Girolamo; Enthroned Virgin with SS. Sebastian, Rocco, Leonardo and Giobbe. The sacred decoration of the church is completed by a controfacciata fresco portraying Christ on the Cross among the Virgin, St. John and SS. Peter and Paul (end of 14th cent.), as well as two 17th-century wooden altars. Above the portal is a 17th-century pipe organ. Facing the church, Casa Fortuni is surprising with its stucco trompe l’oeil, while, a few steps away, on the front of another building, an Enthroned Virgin with Child between SS. Sebastian and Rocco attributable to Pietro da San Vito (early 16th cent.) is just an example of the several frescoes to be found on the walls of Valvasone, ranging from geometrical drawings to more complex figurative fragments (among which the portraits and popular episodes recently restored inside Palazzo Duilio Paribelli in Piazza Mercato are remarkable).