s Home » Guide » San Giorgio di Nogaro

Hotel San Giorgio di Nogaro, Restaurants San Giorgio di Nogaro, Bed and breakfast San Giorgio di Nogaro, Holiday Farms San Giorgio di Nogaro

Book San Giorgio di Nogaro

  • 25,90 sq. km
  • 7 m a.s.l.
  • 7,312
Town Hall:
  • P.zza Umberto I, 1
  • 33058 - San Giorgio di Nogaro (UD)
  • Chiarisacco, Lanais, Località Galli, Porto Nogaro, Villanova, Zellina

Rich in protohistoric (castelliere, a Gaulish settlement area) and Roman (finds of rustic villas, mutatio ad Undecimum along the Via Annia) traces, San Giorgio di Nogaro was a thriving centre in the Middle Ages and later thanks to its connections with Venice, which used the berthing of Porto Nogaro on River Corno to supply its Arsenal with wood.
Of that thriving period a lovely manor house remains: Villa Dora (17th cent.), today a cultural centre. Excavations under the central 18th-century church of San Giorgio (also called Chiesa Vecchia or della Madonna Addolorata), have recently brought to light the remains of the outside walls and mosaic floor of an early-Christian Basilica (4th cent.), built with early Medieval influences probably linked to the arrival of Lombards (568). On the façade above the portal, St. George and the dragon are portrayed; inside are notable paintings of the Venetian school, in particular two large draperies, one with the Miracle of a woman in labour near the seaside by Alessandro Varotari called Il Padovanino (1620), measuring 4,90 m x 6,36 m, the other with Venice on the throne and Justice driving away vices by Pietro Malombra (1612), coming from Palazzo Ducale; here is also the painting of Bernardo and Sancha of Spain (17th cent.) by Pietro Muttoni called il Vecchia. Affected though modest is the altarpiece of the town’s patron Saint with St. George and the dragon by local painter Valentino Marani (19th cent.). The early 20th-century Town Hall is situated on the town’s thoroughfare and built in classicising, often eclectic style. In front of the Town Hall, the fountain by Aurelio Mistruzzi (1990s) is the War Memorial. At Porto Nogaro, the church of S. Leonardo (restructured in the 15th and 20th centuries) is datable, in its most ancient phase, to the year 1000.



Images from Friuli Venezia Giulia