Hotel San Floriano del Collio, Restaurants San Floriano del Collio, Bed and breakfast San Floriano del Collio, Holiday Farms San Floriano del Collio
- 10,52 sq. km
- 276 m a.s.l.
- Via Castello, 10
- 34070 - San Floriano del Collio (GO)
- Bivio Uclanzi, Bucuie, Giasbana, Groina, Sovenza, Scedina, Valerisce
A pleasant town of the Collio, in a panoramic position on the hill north-west of Gorizia. The gentle hilly landscape is dominated by the green vineyards producing excellent wines. The history of the town has been linked since the Middle Ages to the presence of two castles which have only partly survived terrible historical events, last but not least the Great War. The first castle, now greatly modified, owned by the Counts Coronini then by Barons Taccò, is found in the town centre near the Parish Church, while the second one, built as a leisure residence by the Ungrispach family, became the property of the Formentini family in 1520. Thus, the Formentini Castle, which preserves two original towers on the north side, now houses an elegant restaurant that has become famous for its period gastronomic events; the castle is also the seat of an interesting Museum of Wine and Country Life.