Hotel San Canzian d’Isonzo, Restaurants San Canzian d’Isonzo, Bed and breakfast San Canzian d’Isonzo, Holiday Farms San Canzian d’Isonzo
- 33,58 sq. km
- 8 m a.s.l.
- Largo Garibaldi, 37 (a Pieris)
- 34075 - San Canzian d Isonzo (GO)
- Begliano, Isola Morosini, Pieris, Terranova
Crossed by the Via Gemina, the territory was part of the Aquileia countryside. Several archaeological findings witness the existence of a thriving Roman village (vicus). The name of the municipally (previously called Aquae Gradatae) derives from the Canziani (Canzio, Canziano and Canzianilla), the brothers and sister whowere martyrized during Diocletian’s empire, whose cult was already widespread in the early Christian age. Mosaic remains of a large, rectangular Early Christian Basilica, built between the 4th and 6th centuries on a cemetery (identified during the excavations), can be seen near the Parish Church dedicated to the three martyrs. Inside the church are quite good paintings of Sts. Canziani, dated 1580, probably by G. Secante. Roman epigraphs are walled outside the church, and some sarcophagi are displayed in the surrounding meadow. The adjoining Antiquarium hosts Roman and Early-Christian findings: sculptures, mosaic fragments from the Basilica, inscriptions (the votive graffiti and the 4th-century illustrated Rosula’s slab are remarkable). The sarcophagi of the Aquileia martyrs Proto and Crisogono are kept in the small church of S. Proto (14th century)- built on the site of a 4th-century martyr memorial hall, with polychrome mosaic Remarkable is also the small, circular church of S. Spirito (13th century), the former baptistery. At Begliano, the Parish Church of S. Maria Maddalena, rebuilt in neoclassical style in the 18th century, displays a painting of St. Joseph’s Happy Death by Furlanetto.