Hotel Sagrado, Restaurants Sagrado, Bed and breakfast Sagrado, Holiday Farms Sagrado
- 14,14 sq. km
- 32 m a.s.l.
- Via Dante, 19
- 34078 - Sagrado (GO)
- Peteano, Poggio Terza Armata , San Martino del Carso
Alively town on the left bank of River Isonzo, it was already mentioned in 15th-century documents as an important border town, though nothing ancient remains. The Parish Church dedicated to San Nicolò, with its long staircase and slender bell tower, was built in 1901. The stone -rosta-, a monumental structure for the distribution of water, was built in the early decades of the 20th century, while the iron bridge connecting Sagrado to nearly Gradisca dates to 1912-14. The Castle of the Alimondas is a pleasant 19th-century building, eclectic in style. An excursion to Monte S. Michele is strongly recommended, as the place was the background of the bloodiest battles of the Great War and of one of the cruellest episodes: the use of asphyxiating gas by the Austrian army that killed in one night 6,000 Italian infantrymen (29 June 1916). A small memorial Museum may be visited.