Hotel Prato Carnico, Restaurants Prato Carnico, Bed and breakfast Prato Carnico, Holiday Farms Prato Carnico
- 81,48 sq. km
- 674 m a.s.l.
- Frazione Pieria, 69
- 33020 - Prato Carnico (UD)
- Avausa, Croce, Luch, Osais, Pesariis, Pieria, Pradumbli, Prato, Prico, Sostasio, Truja
Leaving Canal di Gorto shortly before Comeglians and crossing Torrent Degano, visitors find themselves in Val Pesarina, joining Carnia with Cadore through the Forcella di Lavardet. This is a picturesque valley, once crucial for the passage of goods, inhabited since the 2nd century by the Carni, then colonized by the Romans. Seven villages along the road maintain almost untouched their original rural structure: Avausa, Prato Carnico, Pieria, Pradumli, Osais, Pesariis. At Prato Carnico is the large church of S. Canciano where some wooden altars are placed, among which the Flügelaltar (altar with panel doors) is remarkable: carved, painted and gilded by Michele Parth from Brunico in 1534, the altar contains the statues of martyrs Canzio, Canziano and Canzianilla in the central niche and the Nativity relief in the predella; the open panel doors reveal SS. Peter and Paul in bas-relief and St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist in the cymatium. To the 16th century dates also the wooden altar with the statues of SS. Fabiano, Sebastian and Rocco inserted in a Renaissance lay-out: this is a work by the Udine carver Simone di Paolo. Mention must be made of the imposing leaning bell tower. The nearby church of Osais dates to 1391 and, on the walls and ribbed vault of the choir, shows an interesting cycle of frescoes dated 1506 and executed by Tolmezzo painter Pietro Fuluto portraying holy figures and scenes from the life of S. Leonardo, to whom the church is dedicated.
These are naïf paintings, picturing fairytale castles and palaces set against an unreal background. The same church houses a quite large wooden altar showing six statues of saints arrayed on two levels: it is the last work, dated 1528, by carver Antonio Tironi (who was a native to Bergamo but lived in Udine). The structure framing the altar is 17th-century as the wooden triptych attributed to Giovanni Antonio Agostini (end of 16th cent.). The last village at the end of the valley is Pesariis, renown since the 17th century for being the seat of famous clockmakers, especially the Solari factory (since 1725) that exported mainly tower clocks everywhere in Europe. Throughout Val Pesarina buildings of great architectural value can be found, most of them restored after the 1976 earthquake, and the peculiar style of its houses, some of them with open galleries, makes Pesariis the most interesting village in Carnia from the architectural point of view: see to his regard Sot la Napa, a Carnic house dating to the 17th century reflecting traces of Venetian style, or Casa Solari, called the clock house, built in the 16th century and remodelled two centuries later: it is the birthplace of Pope Gregorio XVI (1765). Also Casa Canciani at Prato Carnico, Casa Gagliolo at Sostasio are worthwhile, as are the several “stavoli” at Orias, just above Truia, the stavolo Gonano at Osais, the stavoli Palman and Gennaro at Pesariis. The CAI 201 walking path leads from Pradibosco to Rifugio De Gasperi, in the Pesarine dolomites: opposite the Rifugio, a small botanic garden has been created with about 200 species of plants, most of them protected, typical of the Dolomites environments.