Hotel Porpetto, Restaurants Porpetto, Bed and breakfast Porpetto, Holiday Farms Porpetto
- 18,09 sq. km
- 10 m a.s.l.
- V. Udine, 18
- 33050 - Porpetto (UD)
- Castello, Còrgnolo, Pampaluna
The castle to which the name of the Castello neighbourhood refers to was situated on a river islet together with the annexed church of San Giacomo: built in the 9th century, it was destroyed by Venetian troops in 1617. This, and the neighbourhood of Pampaluna (from the Spanish city of Pamplona along the Camino de Santiago), are probably the traces of ancient pilgrimage paths. The building of the castle was due to the noble Frangipane family, as well as of a Palace and a mansion known as “La quiete” (17th-18th centuries). In the village centre stands the Church of S. Vincenzo (18th cent.) containing an 18th-century marble altar and other 16th-and 18th-century works.
Remarkable is the rural environment. At Castello and Corgnolo are ancient mills and buildings, among which Casa Rovere, probably the seat of the Venetian customs. Porpetto is also characterized by the presence of humid grassland (“Fraghis and Rocjon” are sites of European importance) and of a wood of the plains called “Sgobitta”.