Hotel Porcia, Restaurants Porcia, Bed and breakfast Porcia, Holiday Farms Porcia
- 29,49 sq. km
- 29 m a.s.l.
- Via De Pellegrini, 4
- 33080 - Porcia (PN)
- Palse, Pieve, Rondover, Roraipiccolo, Sant'Antonio, Spinazzedo, Talponedo
The Duomo of San Giorgio, restructured in Neo-Gothic style in the mid-1800s, shows its Renaissance origins in the squared tower (1488), decorated by high blind arches and provided with a wide ramp accessing the belfry, and in some works such as the frescoes by Giovan Battista da Vicenza (early 16th cent.) in the right apsidiole, the frescoes with Santa Lucia between St. Antonio and St. Apollonia by Francesco da Milano (1518 ca.) in the right aisle, complemented by the Annunciation in the cymatium and by a landscape with two putti and the Carli family coat-of-arms in the predella. Noteworthy are also the carved wooden choir (1631), the Virgin with Child in Triumph and Saints by Palma the younger (1622) and the organ shutters painted by I. Fischer (17th cent.).
Not far from the duomo, more works by the same Austrian painter decorate the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, which also boasts a sculpture of Enthroned Virgin with Child (first half of the 15th century) attributed to a sculptor of the Tuscan school, frescoes by G. Stefanelli (God Almighty and Prophets, 1555-60), an Altarpiece of the Virgin by Andrea Vicentino (end of 16th cent.) and finally on the wooden Crucifix painted on the choir lintel (mid-15th cent). The small church, the adjoining and airy medieval loggia and the whole historical centre of Porcia are dominated by the massive castle of the Counts of Porcia and Brugnera (whose building started in the 11th century); inside stand out fragments of 14th century frescoes and wall decorations by G.B. Bison (Scenes with architectures, landscapes and mythological-allegorical representations, 1822-1833 ca.). At Palse, more than the lovely oratory of San Giuseppe (with spout by A. Pavanello -16th cent.- and stone relief of the Shepherds’ Adoration -1698-), the ancient rural parish church of San Vigilio attracts the visitor’s attention, with its 13th-century frescoes (Last Supper and Saints).
At Roraipiccolo the exquisite small church of Sant’Agnese has late 13th-century frescoes (Flagellation, Christ on the cross between the Virgin and St. John, Virgin with Child among two Martyr Saints, Saints and Patriarchs on the left wall), as well as mid-14th-century frescoes (Christ in Triumph, symbols of the Evangelists and Saints, Sant’Agnese on the ceiling and apse arch) and Renaissance frescoes: a Virgin with Child and two Saints (early 15th cent.) on the end wall and a Virgin with Child among SS. Sebastiano and Rocco and the donor (1529) attributed to G. Stefanelli, on the controfacciata. Even the altarpiece is a fresco: Virgin with Child between SS. Agnese and Caterina and God Almighty, attributed to Amalteo (first half of the 16th cent.) At Roraipiccolo also the 17th-century villa Correr-Dolfin is located, in which the main building, decorated with early 18th-century frescoes, is complemented with a -barchessa- and large park. Porcia also has notable examples of contemporary architecture, in particular the head offices of Zanussi (1959-61), by Gino Valle, along the Pontebbana State road, whose structure achieves an effective combination of glass and reinforced concrete.