Hotel Paularo, Restaurants Paularo, Bed and breakfast Paularo, Holiday Farms Paularo
- 84,23 sq. km
- 648 m a.s.l.
- P. Bernardino Nascimbeni, 16
- 33027 - Paularo (UD)
- Casaso, Chiaulis, Dierico, Misincinis, Ravinis, Rio, Salino, Trelli, Villafuori, Villamezzo33027
Important prehistoric finds recently discovered at Misincinis support the presence of man in this splendid valley since the remotest times. In Paularo the parish church of S. Vito, built by Domenico Schiavi in 1770-75 on the site of a former building and enriched with a solemn pronaos giving the church the neo-Classical trait Giovanni Battista Bassi wanted (1850), contains in its luminous interior frescoes by Antonio Schiavi dated 1765: Assumption with SS. Vito, Girolamo and Valentino, Nativity, Adoration of the Magi, Melchizedek and Abraham in the nave and Evangelists in the presbytery. On the altars and in the presbytery are paintings by Francesco Pellizzotti from Paularo (1740-1818), a follower of Nicola Grassi. In the neighbourhood of Dierico, the church of S. Maria Maggiore is the most important monument in the whole valley, as it preserves two remarkable works: one is the cycle of frescoes executed in 1598 by Giulio Urbanis from S. Daniele del Friuli on the walls and choir vault with Apostles, Doctors of the Church, Prophets, Women Saints, Holy Father and Annunciation; the other is the wooden altar carved, painted and gilded by Antonio Tironi since 1522: divided on three levels, it has four statues of Saints (SS. Apollonia, Caterina, Barbara and Lucia) and the Saviour in the top level and SS. Floriano, Urbano Papa, Giorgio, Maurizio, Vito, Leonardo, John the Baptist, Virgin with Child, Peter and Michael on the other two levels, all elegant and proportioned figures, characterized by refined expressive traits partly out of the typical
patterns of local sculpture. The frame is imposing, with quite large pilasters (decorated with a fine interweaving of flowers and leaves according to the Lombard style) and solid trabeation. In the church of S. Giovanni Battista at Trelli, an 18th-century painting of St. Peter formerly attributed to Nicola Grassi is instead the work by Francesco Pellizzotti. In the church of S. Caterina at Salino the side altar of S. Antonio has been attributed to Girolamo Comuzzo (17th cent.). Concerning civil buildings, a very prestigious one in Paularo is Palazzo Calice, built at the behest of
Fabiano Calice in 1591, probably representing the most perfect architectural example in the whole of Carnia, with wide arches on the ground floor, two superimposed open galleries with four full arches divided by stone pilasters with modelled capitals: the palazzo is a delightful surprise for those coming down from Ligosullo and it is enchanting for the sense of ethereal lightness it conveys, which leads to thinking that aesthetic taste only was at the origin of its building – and not instead other functional reasons. Other prestigious buildings are Palazzo Mocenigo-Linussio-Fabiani (18th century) most probably designed by Domenico Schiavi, and Palazzo (or Castle) Valesio Calice at Villafuori, a veritable house-museum allowing visitors to retrace the century-old history of Paularo and Carnia through objects, furnishings, works of art, etc. The Calice household, in fact, had always been attentive to all artistic expressions and many ethnographic and artistic exhibits were donated to the Tolmezzo Museum. Also the 18th-century Casa Scala at Paularo has become the venue, in recent years, of a small though interesting museum called La Mozartina, a peculiar private collection of old and modern musical instruments. However, natural beauties are not lacking in the municipality: suffice it to mention the Salino waterfalls, often celebrated by 19th-century painters, the Forra de Las Callas in high Val Chiarsò, that can be walked through on a risky path entirely excavated in the rock, or the Piani di Lanza, reached from the Cason di Lanza on the road to Pontebba.