Hotel Monfalcone, Restaurants Monfalcone, Bed and breakfast Monfalcone, Holiday Farms Monfalcone
- 20,52 sq. km
- 7 m a.s.l.
- P.za della Repubblica, 8
- 33074 - Monfalcone (GO)
- Archi, Aris, Crosera, Lisert, Marina Julia, Marina Vecchia, Panzano, Pietrarossa, Rocca, San Polo, Schiavetti
The capital town of the Bisiacheria, in the lower River Isonzo area, Monfalcone is the most important industrial centre in Gorizia province, also internationally renown thanks to the great shipyards that have produced many prestigious ships of the Italian mercantile and military fleet.
Opened in 1907, the shipyards are state-of-the-art in the field, receive construction job orders from the major international shipping companies, having specialized, in recent years, in the construction of exclusive cruiser liners. Though its origins go back to the remote past, owing to the destruction caused by the two World Wars the city is today almost completely modern in style. On the top of the overlooking hill (Mt. Falcone, hence its name), formerly occupied by a protohistoric castelliere, the Rocca dominates the city, a mighty circular building with a square keep in the middle. Restructured several times, the building dates back to the Middle Ages,
although it seems to have had an important defensive role also in Roman times, when the territory was a crucial trading centre as witnessed by the archaeological findings in the Lisert plain in the eastern suburbs (Roman Baths). Today the Rocca houses the Speleological and Paleontological Museum. In the city, the imposing Duomo (S. Ambrogio), built on a basilica plan, is a cold neo-Romanesque building (1929). The Church of S. Nicolò, in the Aris district, has a wooden altar by an unknown late 16th-century Friulian carver. The Church of S. Polo is a 16th-century building, whose bell tower is said to have been built with the stones of a nearby Roman bridge, while the Sanctuary of Marcelliana, on the road to Grado , has very remote origins, though it was completely rebuilt in the 18th century: a much venerated 13th-century stone statue of the Virgin is kept here.