Hotel Medea, Restaurants Medea, Bed and breakfast Medea, Holiday Farms Medea
- 7,30 sq. km
- 30 m a.s.l.
- Via Torrioni, 5
- 34070 - Medea (GO)
Remains of a protohistorical castelliere, of a Celtic necropolis and Roman remains witness the fact that the area was populated in the remote past. Located on the fringe of the Collio wine-producing area, the place is mainly known for the monumental Ara Pacis, built on the hill by the same name as a memorial for the fallen of all wars. Built by architect Baciocchi (1951), the memorial symbolically gathers the soil of all the war cemeteries and the waters of all the seas where the Second World War was fought. The hill affords a wide view of WWII battle fields. In town, the medieval Parish Church of Sta. Maria Assunta, with its tall bell tower (1550-1658), houses 18th-century paintings and fittings. Two exquisite altars by the Udine artist Pariotto (1752-53) are preserved in the 18th-century Church of S. Antonio Abate, rebuilt after the war.