Hotel Marano Lagunare, Restaurants Marano Lagunare, Bed and breakfast Marano Lagunare, Holiday Farms Marano Lagunare
- 90,57 sq. km
- 2 m a.s.l.
- P. Olivotto
- 33050 - Aiello del Friuli (UD)
Those arriving at Marano will certainly be surprised to find a Venetian more than Friulian landscape, reminiscent of towns like Caorle and Chioggia: actually, Marano was under the Serenissima from 1420 to 1797, a rule that left deep historical, artistic and anthropological traces. Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, the main square, is surrounded by the 15th-century Loggia and Palazzo dei Provveditori (superintendents’ palace), but the symbol of the town is the Patriarchal Tower (with 15th-century body and 20th-century belfry), characterized by a series of sumptuous portraits and epigraphs of Venetian 17th-century “provveditori”; other portraits are walled on other buildings. The parish church is dedicated to S. Martino (a sculpture of the Saint and the poor is set in the gable), although the most loved saint in town is St. Vito, to whose devotion (and to the devotion of SS. Modesto and Crescenzo) is dedicated the traditional procession at sea. In the church (18th cent.) several works of art are found, among which the imposing 18th-century high altar with a painting of Enthroned Virgin with St. Martin and St. Vito (16th cent.) and three altarpieces probably attributable to Antonio Martinetti called Chiozzotto (1719-1790). The small church of Beata Vergine (1905-1908) contains a much worshipped wooden image of the Madonna della Salute (17th cent.) and other ex-voto. Hopefully, what has been said until now has managed to render the artistic dimension of a town boasting an important Roman (there is an antiquarium in the “Centro Civico”) and medieval past, but it is important to underline that the present-day town is fully projected into a future made of environmentoriented tourism, though not forgetting the fishing activity, centred on the protection of the lagoon ecosystem also thanks to the creation of the Natural Reserve of the River Stella mouth (1377 hectares) and the “Valle Canal Novo” (121 hectares) with a Visitors’ Centre. The picturesque “casoni”, the large huts made of reeds and mud supported by wood pilasters used as houses and storerooms for fishing tools, never fail to fascinate.