Hotel Manzano, Restaurants Manzano, Bed and breakfast Manzano, Holiday Farms Manzano
- 30,86 sq. km
- 72 m a.s.l.
- V. Natisone, 34
- 33044 - Manzano (UD)
- Manzinello, Oleis, Rosazzo, San Lorenzo, San Nicolò, Soleschiano
In the sweet hilly landscape leading to the Julian Pre-Alps, between Rivers Natisone and Corno, the ancient Abbey of Rosazzo dominates, from above the hill on which it stands, a large expanse of eastern Friuli. The Abbey is reached through an enchanting road winding among vineyards producing exquisite wines, among which is Picolit, and among sunny meadows full in spring and summer of sweet-smelling flowers (Rosazzo owes its name to the abundance of wild roses, so that in 1161 the abbey was called Monasterium Rosarum). The complex, a kind of fortified district built around the church of S. Pietro Martire, restructured in the 16th century, still retains its peculiar medieval charm reminding visitors of the times when devout people prayed in the 9th-century oratory here and when the Eppensteins provided the place with fortifications in the 11th century, a place which was a military stronghold, then, before being assigned to the Augustinian then the Benedictine monks. In the church presbytery the frescoes by Francesco Torbido, called il Moro from Verona (1535) portray symbols of the Evangelists in the webs, Transfiguration, the Vocation of St. Peter and the Miraculous fishing on the walls, and Virgin with Child and Saints on the triumphal arch. The former refectory shows a frescoed Crucifixion attributed to the same painter. The oldest part of the complex is the imposing six-storey high western keep; notable is also the Renaissance cloister adjacent to the church. In the parish church of Manzano it is possible to see frescoes by Giuseppe Barazzutti (1921), a late 1800s high altar and lovely 18thcentury side altars coming from the church of Barnabiti in Udine. At Manzinello, in the church of S. Margherita there is a fresco dating to the late 1400s portraying SS. Antonio Abate, Elisabeth and James. The municipality is also peppered with beautiful villas: spectacular is certainly the 18th-century Villa Brazzà Martinengo at Soleschiano, whose imposing central body is reminiscent of urban palaces with the central salon and side rooms: also Villa de Marchi Ottelio de Carvalho at Ronchi di Manzano is remarkable, built since the 17th century. Lovely examples of rural architecture are found in the neighbourhoods of Manzinello, Oleis, Soleschiano and S. Lorenzo.