Hotel Latisana, Restaurants Latisana, Bed and breakfast Latisana, Holiday Farms Latisana
- 37,73 sq. km
- 7 m a.s.l.
- P. Indipendenza, 74
- 33053 - Latisana (UD)
- Bevazzana, Gorgo, Latisanotta, Paludo, Pertegada
The Romans had immediately realized that the site where Latisana would rise had a strategic role in the military and economic control of the area, as the Tagliamento represented an extraordinary line of communication by water, while the route of Via Annia required both safety and efficiency well as a stop for horse changing and refreshment (mutatio Apicilia). This natural function of the place was continued also in the Middle Ages when -even though the hydrogeological conditions had changed- river transport was reopened; a Portus Latisanae was mentioned in documents since 1118 and maintained, even under different political governments, a primary role in the exchange of goods from the Mediterranean to the hinterland and in the transit of pilgrims, so much so that present-day Piazza Indipendenza was in those times the trading hub of the port, also equipped with a hospice. Remarkable traces of those thriving times, especially in the 1500s, are found in the Duomo of San Giovanni Battista, whose present structure is the result of the 18th-century restructuring of a 1504 church in which, among other works, the high altar houses an important altarpiece by Paolo Veronese with Christening of Jesus (1566-1567). The Church of S. Antonio, too, dates from the 18th century, formerly belonging to a Franciscan monastery (see the cloister); 19th-century is instead the Church of S. Maria delle Grazie at Sabbionera. Agriculture is still today one of the main activities, after being for centuries, since the decline of the port, the only hope for survival. Great impulse came in the field thanks to the Austrian agricultural policies (vine growing and silkworm breeding) and it is to an agronomist, Gaspare Luigi Gaspari, that a Neoclassical mausoleum was dedicated, Tempio Gaspari (1860): Gaspari is remembered also for having protected the centenary imposing tree of Zelkova Crenata (1792), 38 m high and 7 m of trunk circumference. Finally, the River Tagliamento offers the naturalistic reality of high-water bed woods.