Hotel Gradisca d’Isonzo, Restaurants Gradisca d’Isonzo, Bed and breakfast Gradisca d’Isonzo, Holiday Farms Gradisca d’Isonzo
- 10,80 sq. km
- 32 m a.s.l.
- Via Ciotti, 47
- 34072 - Gradisca d Isonzo (GO)
For those arriving at Gradisca, the impact with the urban reality is remarkably softened by the continuous green belt whose best known part is Piazza Unità d’Italia, elliptic in shape, created in 1863 after the western walls were pulled down. Such walls had been erected by the Serenissima at the end of the 15th century to oppose the Turkish invasions and formed a stronghold to whose strengthening also Leonardo da Vinci worked. Large parts of the imposing defensive structure are preserved (the gate, ramparts and moat), sometimes built straight on rock, which culminate in the castle, the result of Hapsburg renovations. In fact, the Hapsburg conquered the town in 1511 and did not lose its possession for four centuries, notwithstanding the Venetian attempts to recover it in the so-called -Gradisca wars- in the early 1600s. The road plan is reminiscent of the original military structure of the town, although the palaces and churches along the main streets of the historical centre are noted for their typically Venetian elegance. The 17th-century sumptuous Palazzo Torriani, today the seat of the Town Hall, also houses the Civic Museum, Library and the Regional Gallery of Contemporary Art -L. Spazzapan-, mainly dedicated to the paintings by L. Spazzapan, a native to the town (1889-1958). Other buildings are worth a visit, such as: the Monte di Pietà (1671), with the marble statue of Francesco Ulderico della Torre situated halfway up the grand staircase; the Loggia Pubblica or dei Mercanti (1688), where stone exhibits are located; Palazzo Strassoldo-Pacede Carnelli-Mistruzzi (16th-17th centuries); Palazzo De Fin-Patuna (18th century) and the Casa dei Provveditori Veneti housing the renown Enoteca Regionale -La Serenissima-, a wine bar where the best wines of Friuli-Venezia Giulia may be tasted. Apart from the Church of the Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows), whose interior has been widely modified though it preserves some traces of the original 15th-century structure in the harmonious stone façade, the most important religious building is the Duomo, with its imposing late-Baroque Venetian front. Inside, the complex high altar by Leonardo Pacassi (1690) is quite relevant; in the Chapel of the Torriani family (in the western nave), decorated with elegant stuccoes at the end of the 17th century, the sarcophagus in northern style (1566) portraying Nicolò II della Torre as a warrior is visible.