Hotel Forni di Sotto, Restaurants Forni di Sotto, Bed and breakfast Forni di Sotto, Holiday Farms Forni di Sotto
- 93,54 sq. km
- 776 m a.s.l.
- Via Tredolo, 1
- 33020 - Forni di Sotto (UD)
Situated on a flat area (though the rest of the municipality is mainly mountainous), Forni di Sotto is modern, as the whole town was rebuilt after it was almost completely burned down in retaliation in 1944. However, its origins go back in time to the Roman age, as confirmed by place names and by the tombs and coins found here. Yet, on the facades of some houses, traces of devotional 18th-century frescoes by Francesco Colussi are still visible. A typical trait of the town are the 19th-century fountains of Treddo (1843), Basella and Vico (ca. 1840) among the finest in Carnia. The parish church contains an important wooden statue by Domenico da Tolmezzo, but the most prestigious monument is found in the votive chapel of San Lorenzo, just outside town, whose frescoes almost completely coating its interior (Doctors of the Church, Annunciation, Martyrdom of San Lorenzo, etc.) are actually one of the greatest accomplishments by the inexhaustible poetic vein of Gianfrancesco da Tolmezzo (1492), a village story-teller.