s Home » Guide » Cormons

Hotel Cormons, Restaurants Cormons, Bed and breakfast Cormons, Holiday Farms Cormons

Book Cormons



Adults
Childrens
Area:
  • 34,67 sq. km
Altitude:
  • 56 m a.s.l.
Population:
  • 7,473
Town Hall:
  • Piazza XXIV Maggio, 22
  • 34071 - Cormons (GO)
Neighbourhoods:
  • Brazzano, Borgnano, Giassico
Website
Map:

Located on the southern border of the Collio area, along the so-called -road of wine and cherries-, Cormons is the largest centre of the Friuli part of Gorizia province, on the left bank of River Isonzo. Of Celtic origins, its strategic geographic position gave it a crucial defensive role (limes) from Roman to medieval times. Under Lombard rule, between 628 and 737, it was the seat of a castrum where the schismatic Patriarchs of Aquileia found shelter during their opposition to the Orthodox and pro-Byzantium Patriarchs who instead had their residence in the Grado castrum. The town was long the object of disputes with Venice, who had control over Cormons straddling the 15th and 16th centuries, until in 1521 the town was assigned to the Hapsburg Empire, under which it remained until the Great War. Its important history is witnessed by several monuments. An impressive staircase leads to the Duomo dedicated to S. Adalberto, a large 18th-century building raised on the site of a 13thcentury chapel. Its front, preceded by a grand staircase, is divided into three sections by pilasters and decorated with statues in niches, the tall octagonal bell tower adjacent the apse. Inside, the single nave is decorated with 19thcentury paintings by Tominz and a beautiful 18th-century altar. The adjoining ‘Cjase da Plêf Antighe’ houses the small Museum of the Duomo, exhibiting documents, relics and various pieces of sacred art. The nearby Piazza XXVI Maggio is flanked by the elongated late-Baroque front of Palazzo Locatelli (1748-89), the seat of the Town Hall, in which a Civic Museum dedicated to the history of the territory is being prepared. Many other lovely 18th-century buildings grace the central via Matteotti: Palazzo Waiz-Del Mestri, in which the living requirements of a noble family are happily combined with those of agricultural activities; the Church of Sta. Caterina (better known as the Sanctuary of the Mystic Rose), built in 1768- 79 with the typical front flanked with small bell towers with their onionshaped cupolas. In the neighbourhood, several small churches can be found, built within the ancient cente, namely rural rudimental defensive systems, such as the 14th-century church of Sta. Maria (or Sta. Apollonia), whose interior is richly decorated with 16th-century frescoes, while older frescoes dating to the 14th and 15th centuries are found in the church of S. Giovanni, rebuilt in the 1300s on the site of a church already existing in 1093. An excursion on Mount Quarin will afford a lovely view of the town it overlooks, while taking the tourist to the remains (the keep) of the old Castle and to the Church of Beata Vergine del Soccorso (1636), with its richly decorated 17thcentury wooden altar. In the neighbourhood of Brazzano, a wine-producing centre made of smaller, widespread units, the Parish Church of S. Lorenzo (1763) and the 16th-century Church of San Rocco, with its late-Gothic apse, are worth a visit, as well as the Church of San Giorgio, located on a hill where a castle used to be whose only remains (parts of the crenellated tower) are incorporated in the bell tower: inside, the monumental wooden altar richly sculpted by Girolamo Ridolfi (1563) may be seen. The typical rural neighbourhood of Giassico (where the probably 14thcentury Church of S. Stefano, with its terracotta-tile Gothic portal, is) has acquired renown lately thanks to the annual -Festival of the Central European Peoples-, a nostalgic-folklore event held on 18 August, the birthday of Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph.

WE ARE SOCIAL!!

BUSINESS PARTNERS

Images from Friuli Venezia Giulia