Hotel Cordovado, Restaurants Cordovado, Bed and breakfast Cordovado, Holiday Farms Cordovado
- 12,12 sq. km
- 15 m a.s.l.
- Piazza Cecchini, 24
- 33073 - Cordovado (PN)
- Belvedere, Saccudello, Suzzolins
Surrounded by luxurious countryside that includes a Literary park dedicated to Ippolito Nievo (who set here his famous novel Le Confessioni di un Italiano), Cordovado may be visited starting from Borgo Castello, whose medieval origins transpire in the portals and mid-14th century frescoes of San Girolamo oratory (some fragments in the Santa Caterina oratory are datable to the same period, attributable to local artists influenced by Tomaso da Modena). Villa Attimis- Piccolomini and Palazzo Ridolfi-Bozza-Marrubini date instead to the 18th century, the latter decorated with frescoes by G.F. Zamolo (1704-1712). Just outside the Borgo stands the old parish church of Sant’Andrea (15th cent.), whose apse decoration in attributed to Gianfrancesco da Tolmezzo and his studio (the webs of the ribbed vault show Doctors of the Church among Evangelists, Prophets and Angel musicians, while on the south wall are fragments of St. Andrew’s Martyrdom, early 16th cent.). Other important works (such as SS. Peter, Paul, Stephen and Laurence, paintings on wood by B. Blaceo, 1530; the Virgin of the Rosary by G. Moretto, 1586 ca.; the Altarpiece of the Name of Jesus by N. Grassi, 1730-1740 ca.) are kept in the new parish church of Sant’Andrea Apostolo, whose interior is dominated by P. Casarini’s frescoes (1962), expressing, together with the paintings on the high altar and the reliefs on the bronze portal (1967), the pathos of faith through the rough network of surfaces and colours. The highest concentration of late- Mannerist and Baroque art is finally found in the Santuario della Madonna, erected on a circular plan between 1600 and 1603. Inside, it boasts sumptuous stuccoes, carvings and paintings, among which a Virgin in Bellunello’s style (early 1500s), eight Sybils and Prophets by A. Carneo (mid- 17th cent.) on the wooden ceiling, frescoes by F. Zanimberti (1613) in the apse ribbed vault and works by S. Peranda on the walls (early 17th cent.). Close to the sanctuary, Palazzo Mainardi and Palazzo Cecchini serve as exhibition venues, boasting eclectic decorations (second half of the 19th century) on the ceiling of the piano nobile. The church of Sant’Antonio at Saccudello preserves a statue of Sant’Antonio Abate carved after Domenico da Tolmezzo’s style (end of 15th cent.), while 18thcentury works are found in the oratory of Sant’Urbano at Suzzolins.