Hotel Comeglians, Restaurants Comeglians, Bed and breakfast Comeglians, Holiday Farms Comeglians
- 19,43 sq. km
- 553 m a.s.l.
- V. Roma, 19
- 33023 - Comeglians (UD)
- Calgaretto, Maranzanis, Mieli, Noiaretto, Povolaro, Tualis
The first mention of Comeglians, a place name certainly deriving from “comelicanus” to indicate an inhabitant of Comelico, dates from the Middle Ages. In the past, however, the villa of Povolaro enjoyed greater importance, today still well known as it preserves its original urban plan, set in the 17th and 18th centuries, with exquisite, imposing houses as casa Palmano,casa Paschina, casa del Degano, among others. And then the 18thcentury Palazzo De Gleria, with its elegant portal and lofty small balcony on the façade. Interesting examples of rural architecture are found in the neighbourhoods of Tualis and Mieli, where the church contains naïf 16th-century frescoes by Lorenzo Pauliti from Ampezzo (1549) and a wooden altar dating to the 1700s. The Pieve of San Giorgio, dominating a large part of the valley of Degano, dates from the 1700s in its present structure, though its origins are much older. Inside it contains a notable Roman sepulchral altar datable to the 1st century AD with the sculptures of togaed Lucio Virzio Albino and his wife Ammonia, who, wearing a long robe, is sitting spinning wool. The 1541 wooden painted and gilded Flügelaltar (an altar with panel doors) in the parish church of Povolaro is a precious example of the Brunico artist Michele Parth. In the small church of S. Nicolò at Comeglians interesting frescoes dating to the 1400s have been recently brought to light. A road called “Panoramica delle vette” leads from Comeglians to Mount Crostis (2252 m) from where a great view is enjoyed.