Hotel Cervignano del Friuli, Restaurants Cervignano del Friuli, Bed and breakfast Cervignano del Friuli, Holiday Farms Cervignano del Friuli
- 28,47 sq. km
- 2 m a.s.l.
- P. Indipendenza, 1
- 33052 - Cervignano del Friuli (UD)
- Muscoli, Scodovacca, Strassoldo
Inhabited since the Iron Age (protohistoric metal tools were found), the territory was densely settled in Roman times thanks to the existence of thoroughfares and most of all to the River Ausa (the ancient Alsa) which was navigable and is still today the main feature of the town. Productive facilities and rustic villas appeared along the river, complete with berthings, as has been recently revealed by the excavations in the church of San Michele Arcangelo, and Roman remains are incorporated in the outside walls of the 20th-century small church of San Girolamo. Near the church of S. Michele, a Benedictine abbey complex developed in the early Middle Ages (7th-11th centuries), of which a fresco fragment with symbolic subjects remains. Below the present-day church, decorated with frescoes by Sebastiano Santi from Venice (1846), a modern crypt allows visitors to view the archaeological remains. The town of Cervignano played a crucial role in the so-called “Gradisca wars” (1615-1617), but the strong defensive structure used on the occasion was then destroyed. Today Cervignano is a thriving trading centre and a vital road point for the economy of Bassa Friulana. Piazza Indipendenza, the tree-lined town centre, is the backdrop for the lovely Neo- Renaissance Town Hall (1927) with its tall Clock Tower. A visit to the Chapel of Santa Croce is a must, to see the Countess’s Christ, an exquisite 13th-century recently restored wooden sculpture. The chapel is annexed to Villa Bresciani, Attems, Auersperg (16th-19th centuries), a mainly 18th-century noble residence by the impressive external central staircase. Borgo Strassoldo, deriving its name from the powerful noble household still living there, has a rich history: the village has retained its late medieval structure, in spite of the numerous restorations, especially in the 1700s, it underwent. A Castro de Strassolt, probably built after the devastating Hungarian invasions, was certainly mentioned since 1275 and when the feudal family split into two lines, two separate castles were created, developing around two separate towers near which River Taglio flowed: Castello di Sopra and Castello di Sotto. The former (10th-18th centuries) includes the remains of the 14th-century walls and Ottone’s tower, but looks now as a 17th-18thcentury noble residence connected by an elevated passage to the lovely church of San Nicolò (18th cent.), while the latter is more complex (13th-18th centuries), with its 14th-century keep and the family chapel of San Marco (1575), whose façade shows medieval paterae. Its superb historical garden perfectly harmonizes with the enchanting natural surroundings. In the same neighbourhood, the church of S. Maria in Vineis (13th-14th and 18th centuries) contains parts of 14th-15th-century frescoes with Stories from the Old and New Testaments. Apart from some rural hamlets, several noble residences, mainly 18th-century, are worth mentioning: Villa de Obizzi, Anzone at Borgo Gortani and Villa Chiozza at Scodovacca, whose remarkable park is the seat of a Regional Centre for Agricultural Studies.