Hotel Castions di Strada, Restaurants Castions di Strada, Bed and breakfast Castions di Strada, Holiday Farms Castions di Strada
- 32,84 sq. km
- 3 m a.s.l.
- V. Roma
- 33050 - Castions di Strada (UD)
- Morsano di Strada
Humid grassland, moors and woods of the plains (Boscat) are typical of the area, where a protohistoric castelliere of the plains was found in the neighbourhood of Cjastilir. The Romans included the area in the route of Via Postumia and, in the Middle Ages, probably on the same site of the castelliere, a fortified village was built, the socalled Stradalta. Medieval is the church of S. Martino, datable to Poppone’s Patriarchate who, in 1031, bestowed Villa di Castions onto the Aquileia Chapter. In it, fragments of Romanesque frescoes portraying the Apostles and a wooden statue of S. Nicolò reminiscent of Tolmezzo’s style are preserved. Recent works in the church of S. Maria delle Grazie (15th-16th centuries) have restored a cycle of frescoes dated 1534 by Venetian painter Gaspare Negro (1475 ca.-1549) to their original readability and chromatic contrast: the frescoes illustrate the crucial events of Christ’s and the Virgin’s lives: Nativity, Maundy, Ascension, Dormitio Virginis (New Testament) side by side with episodes from the lives of S. Biagio and S. Maria Maddalena.The airy setting and spontaneous gestures and expressions on popular characters, the light pervading every single scene are the features of these remarkable high-quality Renaissance frescoes which represent the masterpiece of a minor (?) painter. Mention must be made also of the parish church of Morsano, containing an altar by Giambattista Cucchiaro (1739) and a shrine door by Giuseppe Canal, and of some rural and noble residences among which Villa Deganis, Ionico (19th cent.) and Palazzo Grassi, Digaspero (18th cent.).