Hotel Buja, Restaurants Buja, Bed and breakfast Buja, Holiday Farms Buja
- 25,55 sq. km
- 226 m a.s.l.
- Piazza S.Stefano , 3
- 33030 - Buja (UD)
- Andreuzza, Avilla, Camadusso, Camartino, Campo Garzolino, Caspigello, Codesio, Collosomano, Madonna, Monte, Ontegnano, Saletti, San Floreano, Solaris, Sopramonte, Sottocolle, Sottocostoia, Strambons, Tomba, Tonzolano, Urbignacco, Ursinis Grande, Ursinis Piccolo
The origins of Buja are really old, but its castle, the first settlement, was probably built around the mid -6th century AD. Already mentioned in a document by Charles the Great in 792, Buja is mentioned again – with Fagagna, Gruagno, Braitan and Udine – also in the famous Ottone II’s diploma of 983. Restored after the 1976 earthquake, the pieve of S. Lorenzo in Monte, built in a place that had always been inhabited, is notable for the late 14th-century frescoes by an unknown Friulian painter portraying scenes from the life of the Virgin and visible on the barrel vault of a small chapel. The church also contains a large altarpiece with St. Lorenzo’s martyrdom and two paintings with episodes from the Saint’s life: this is what remains of a large wooden altar carved and painted by Giovanni Battista Grassi (1558). Moreover, wooden statues (15th cent.) are doubtfully attributed to Domenico da Tolmezzo, who, instead, is certainly the author of a beautiful statue of Virgin with Child (1481) in the church of Madonna di Buja. The neo-Gothic duomo of S. Stefano, partly destroyed in the earthquake, was rebuilt. In the church of S. Pietro at Avilla, there is a peculiar Via Crucis with panels by well-known contemporary artists.