Hotel Aiello del Friuli, Restaurants Aiello del Friuli, Bed and breakfast Aiello del Friuli, Holiday Farms Aiello del Friuli
- 13,03 sq. km
- 18 m a.s.l.
- Via XXIV Maggio, 8
- 33041 - Aiello del Friuli (UD)
Although Roman in origin, the town’s outstanding monuments date from the 17th to the 19th centuries: noble residences (mainly along Viale Vittorio Emanuele) as the imposing Villa Michieli, Zamparini, with family chapel, Villa Strassoldo, Parisi, Sabot, of clear Venetian stamp with its superb park, Villa Peteani, Steimberg, D’Attems, with its airy façade marked by pilasters and walled coat-of-arms, and furthermore, at the crossroads with Via XXIV Maggio, the elegant Villa De Fin, Teuffembach, with its front courtyard. In the town centre stands the 17th-century parish church of S. Ulderico, showing Roman remains (on the left is an illustrated epigraph of M. Caesius Priscus, dated 1st cent. AD) on the façade; inside, works by Pietro Bainville (1674- 1749), Arturo Colavini (1800s), Clemente Del Neri (1865-1943) are preserved. Moreover, the convent complex of S. Domenico (17th cent.) is worth mentioning and, along the road to Joannis, a complex of medieval buildings in centa (surrounded bywalls) with the ruins of the old church of S. Agnese and the curate’s house, to which a canepa for storage is attached. Located in some late-19th-century farm storerooms, the Museum of Country Traditions in Imperial Friuli houses a large collection of agricultural tools. The peculiar series of sundials recreated both in the Museum courtyard and in private houses has earned the town of Aiello the nickname of “the town of sundials”. Another important evidence of the town’s rural past is the existence of three mills. In the neighbourhood of Joannis, one of the most untouched examples of Friuli rural town planning is found built around Palazzo Strassoldo, Frangipane (18th cent.) in the style of Pacassi and still in excellent conditions. The sober 18th-century parish church of S. Agnese contains some precious works as the Carrara marble high altar, the Renaissance font and paintings datable between the 16th and 19th centuries.